Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 King's Gambit - help!!!!!!!! (Read 37447 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: King's Gambit - help!!!!!!!!
Reply #16 - 07/06/06 at 01:06:33
Post Tools
Quote:
The variation that most annoys me when I play the King's Gambit is the Modern variation.  You stated that you tried that and got reasonable positions out of the opening but basically that you were outplayed later.  Perhaps you could study your losses more thoroughly and this would provide a good defence for you.  Another advantage is that via the Falkbeer move order (1.e4 e5 2.f4 d5 3.exd5, not the only move but by far the most common, 3...exf4 4.Nf3 Nf6) you have a complete answer to the KG.  I guess you already know that since you have the Kaufman book.  I always enjoyed playing against the other variations more personally.  It's not that I considered some of the other variations inferior, just the resulting positions suited my style better.  (I wonder if a lot of KG players feel this way?)

No. I began to consider the KG seriously, when I became convinced, that White has chances too in the Modern Defences.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #15 - 07/05/06 at 13:07:40
Post Tools
Scott. If you prefer solid, positional chess then 2...d5 3.exd5 exf4 is the way to go. Another try might be 2...exf4 3.Nf3 Be7 followed by ...Nf6, but then you also need something against 3.Bc4.
Declining with 2...Bc5 does not guarantee Black an easy life. Instead you can try and setup a Steinitz Strongpoint on e5 with 2...Qf6 3.Nf3 Qxf4 followed by ...d6 and ...f6. I would recommend Stefan Bücker's german book, but it probably out of print.
Another try is 2...Qh4+ 3.g3 Qe7. White probably does best to avoid the wildest lines (4.Nc3 exf4 5.d4 or 5.gxf4!?) and settle for a small plus here (4.d3 or 4.fxe5).

Cheers

Michael.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #14 - 07/05/06 at 09:42:41
Post Tools
woofwoof: No, not forgotten. Even mentioned in this thread. It's just that playing 2...d5 3.exd5 exf4 is considered to be a better move order. It avoids the 3.Bc4 line.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #13 - 07/05/06 at 09:38:37
Post Tools
I think this line has been forgotten 1.e4 e5 2.f4 pxp 3.Ktf3 d5. Quite a good line really. Gives black open play, his k-side is intact & blunts the KG attack somewhat. Trouble its aiming at returning the pawn, hence may not be too attractive if you're the type who wishes to hang on to the pwn for as long as possible. For that....the Fischer Defense has that objective in mind.

I personally play 3...d5 against the KG.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #12 - 07/05/06 at 00:15:15
Post Tools
The variation that most annoys me when I play the King's Gambit is the Modern variation.  You stated that you tried that and got reasonable positions out of the opening but basically that you were outplayed later.  Perhaps you could study your losses more thoroughly and this would provide a good defence for you.  Another advantage is that via the Falkbeer move order (1.e4 e5 2.f4 d5 3.exd5, not the only move but by far the most common, 3...exf4 4.Nf3 Nf6) you have a complete answer to the KG.  I guess you already know that since you have the Kaufman book.  I always enjoyed playing against the other variations more personally.  It's not that I considered some of the other variations inferior, just the resulting positions suited my style better.  (I wonder if a lot of KG players feel this way?)

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #11 - 07/04/06 at 21:08:56
Post Tools
smrex13 wrote on 07/04/06 at 00:40:09:
Hi everyone,

I've been playing 1...e5 as my main defense to 1.e4 for a few months now, and I seem to be getting to grips with most of the openings after 1...e5.  However, the KG is KILLING me, and I think I've tried everything.  My current record is 1 win, 0 draws, 28 losses (some to players rated up to 500 points lower than me)!  I'm over 50% on the Black side of the Ruy and the Italian, so it's really the KG that's destroying me.  I generally like solid, positional chess, so the KG presents some problems.  I have Davies' book, but 2...Bc5 seems really passive and Black has to weather some pretty heavy storms (although it's my only win vs. the KG).  Does anyone have a recommendation?  I have Kaufman's book, and I've tried 2...d5 with a reasonable position after the opening in a few games, although White's understanding of the position usually leads to my resignation before move 20.  I like the idea of playing 1...e5, but not if many of my games go 1.e4 e5 2.f4 1-0.  Please help!!

Thanks,
Scott

Well, I face the King's Gambit myself  and do pretty well.  I suggest you try the following:

1 e4 e5  2 f4 Nc6  3 Nf3 f5! , the Wahl Counter-Gambit.

Other lines:

1 e4 e5 2 f4 f5, Panteldakis Counter-Gambit

2...d5,  Falkbeer Counter-Gambit

2...g5, Zilbermints Double Pawn Counter-Gambit

if  3 fg5  h6;  3 fe5  h6 or 3...Nc6

Experimental is  1 e4 e5 2 f4 f6 3 fe5 Nc6 , King's Gambit, Soller-Zilbermints Gambit. This last is a kind of Blackmar-Diemer Gambit on the Black side of the board.

Finally, after 1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf4 3 Nf3 g5  play can get very,very complicated. In the good old days, before Steinitz, this line was very fashionable. Called the "Long Whip", it consisted of Black trying to maintain his advantage at all cost. By comparison, White attacked, often with spectacular fireworks, to win the game.

You want to play 3...g5 -- better know the theory.  And, man, is that theory huge!

Keep in touch.

YIM  
IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 07/04/06 at 17:02:13
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 07/04/06 at 14:03:56:
. There are quite many good lines for black available. Then improve tactics. I assume many of the losses aren't from the opening but from that you failed to see all the threats.

Alias was quite blunt here.  Maybe it's from his meat helmet?  Undecided  However, he's right.  All too often, people blame the opening for their losses when it was really their tactics that let them down.

You should know that Fischer's 3...d6 is not considered a refutation of the KG at all.  It is merely one more line.  It's playable, but I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's as good as some of the other lines mentioned. 

Philosophically, a gambit should be taken unless you know for sure that it's good.  In which case it isn't really a gambit.  That's why the Queen's Gambit is often described as not being a true gambit.  What this means in this discussion is I firmly believe that any KGD, even the Falkbeer Counter Gambit, will be intrinsically worse than the best acceptance lines. (They may still be playable, just not as good as the best KGA lines.) As others have pointed out though, there are many paths to Rome in the KG for Black.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #9 - 07/04/06 at 14:03:56
Post Tools
Are the losses in blitz games or in games with proper times (2 hrs/40 moves or similar)? In general, I feel that gambits are much more succesful in blitz games. I have a bad record in the Staunton (1.d4 f5 2.e4) in blitz games although I know the theory fairly well. A friend of mine which is a 2300 player plays the Morra in blitz with very good results but he almost never use in games with slower time controls.

If you just briefly study different lines in the KG and play blitz games against KG experienced players, you are bound to loose quite often. Pick a line and do the homework. There are quite many good lines for black available. Then improve tactics. I assume many of the losses aren't from the opening but from that you failed to see all the threats.

As a former KG player I would say that 2.exf4 3.Nf3 g5 is the best and 2...d5 3.exd5 exf4 is the second best lines for black. 2...Bc5 is not bad. I never played 3.Bc4 so I can't say anything about it.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #8 - 07/04/06 at 12:47:10
Post Tools
[quote author=Dinomike100 link=1151973610/0#4 date=1151990678]How about Fischer's bust to the KG.  Didn't that practically wipe out the KG from GM play?  I'm not saying black is winning, but he probably has equality.  Here is a website which has an online annotation of Fischer's ideas:

[url]http://www.academicchess.org/Games/chessviewer/Fisherbustkingsgambit.shtml[/url]

When I played this, I often found white had to really go out of his way to get a good attack going.
[/quote]

I'm afraid that the situation has evolved a bit since Fischer, although the original statement that 3. ...d6 gives Black the better game is probably intrinsicaly correct.
For a while 4. d4 g5 ; 5. h4 g4 ; 6. Ktg1 was the main battleground, but Black came up with several promising rejoinders. Now, as I learnt at my own expense from MNb, there's 5. Ktc3 to deal with. Perhaps if I overcome my laziness and aversion for tactical variations, I'll give another shot at refuting it, but the job should really go to you 1. ...e5 players out there...

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #7 - 07/04/06 at 08:55:29
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/04/06 at 07:44:37:
TalJechin wrote on 07/04/06 at 07:01:06:
Well, either you get acquainted with the KG in detail OR you could open with 1...Nc6 with the idea of 2.Nf3 e5!  Grin

Sheesh.  So much for advice from the experts!   Cheesy

LOL!

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 07/04/06 at 07:44:37
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 07/04/06 at 07:01:06:
Well, either you get acquainted with the KG in detail OR you could open with 1...Nc6 with the idea of 2.Nf3 e5!  Grin

Sheesh.  So much for advice from the experts!   Cheesy

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 07/04/06 at 07:01:06
Post Tools
smrex13 wrote on 07/04/06 at 00:40:09:
Hi everyone,

I've been playing 1...e5 as my main defense to 1.e4 for a few months now, and I seem to be getting to grips with most of the openings after 1...e5.  However, the KG is KILLING me, and I think I've tried everything.  My current record is 1 win, 0 draws, 28 losses (some to players rated up to 500 points lower than me)!  I'm over 50% on the Black side of the Ruy and the Italian, so it's really the KG that's destroying me.  I generally like solid, positional chess, so the KG presents some problems.  I have Davies' book, but 2...Bc5 seems really passive and Black has to weather some pretty heavy storms (although it's my only win vs. the KG).  Does anyone have a recommendation?  I have Kaufman's book, and I've tried 2...d5 with a reasonable position after the opening in a few games, although White's understanding of the position usually leads to my resignation before move 20.  I like the idea of playing 1...e5, but not if many of my games go 1.e4 e5 2.f4 1-0.  Please help!!

Thanks,
Scott

Well, either you get acquainted with the KG in detail OR you could open with 1...Nc6 with the idea of 2.Nf3 e5!  Grin

IP Logged

Dinomike100

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/04/06 at 05:24:38
Post Tools
How about Fischer's bust to the KG.  Didn't that practically wipe out the KG from GM play?  I'm not saying black is winning, but he probably has equality.  Here is a website which has an online annotation of Fischer's ideas:

http://www.academicchess.org/Games/chessviewer/Fisherbustkingsgambit.shtml

When I played this, I often found white had to really go out of his way to get a good attack going.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #3 - 07/04/06 at 04:59:35
Post Tools
I feel your pain, smrex!

If you don't mind going over a lot of really sharp, interesting games, then 3...g5 may be perfect for you.  Take a look at how Shirov, Ehlvest and others have destroyed White by that move!

Another idea, championed by Karpov, is one of my personal favorites.  It's to play for an early c6 and d5.  Depending on the move order, you may have to play 3...Nf6 and 4...d5 (which is fairly common).  But if you can time it right, the c6-d5 line scores well in practice at all time controls!  These are two, almost completely opposite ways of treating the KG as Black.

Of course, we have some of the world's most knowledgeable experts on the KG here in the forum, so listen to their advice first.  I'm interested myself to see what these advocates for White recommend for the opposite side!

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #2 - 07/04/06 at 04:37:37
Post Tools
After 1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 I've done pretty well with 3...g5, although things can can get complicated and messy and I've had a few tough games.  I less comfortable playing against 3. Bc4 (which is also less common in my games - so far) but I trust lines based on 3...Nf6.  In both cases, I've found Emms' Play the Open Games as Black provided a pretty good starting point for preparing to face the King's Gambit.

The Classical King's Gambit Declined lines after 2...Bc5 are certainly playable, but I've always felt that accepting the gambit gives Black much better winning chances.  Although I don't feel this way about all gambits, for the King's Gambit I'm pretty convinced that the pawn should be taken.

I agree with MNb that there is no easy solution (I guess that's part of the reason why the King's Gambit has such loyal - to put it mildly - supporters), but once you get youre defenses worked out you may even find you look forward to facing the King's Gambit.  If you are well prepared, I think that Black's winning chances against the King's Gambit are probably quite a bit higher than they are against more conservative white openings.

One of the Open Game lines I hate facing the most is 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. d3.  There is nothing threatening here at all for Black, just really difficult to generate winning chances - a real test of Black's patience (not my strong suit).

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo